Mold is often a serious side effect of a flooding or water damage incident. Mold can begin to develop and spread in as little as 48 to 72 hours. It can be a serious health risk to people and pets occupying the property. If you see or suspect mold conditions do not attempt to treat it.
Call 1800Flooded® (1800-356-6333) to have a Emergency Response Team dispatched to your home.
1800Flooded® Emergency Response Teams are Certified, Licensed and Bonded experts with the tools to treat all forms of mold.
The Environmental Protection Agency epa.org reports:
Ten Things You Should Know about Mold
- Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma and other respiratory complaints.
- There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
- If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
- Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
- Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by:
- Venting bathrooms, dryers and other moisture-generating sources to the outside
- Using air conditioners and de-humidifiers
- Increasing ventilation
- Using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing and cleaning
As reported by the EPA cleaning mold from hard surfaces is a fairly simple and process and can often be performed by the home or business owner. Mold on porous surfaces is far more difficult and should only be treated and remediated by licensed professionals.